FAQ – Frequently asked questions

Non member EU/EFTA

Go to page «Labour / Work permits»
Conditions for entering and staying in Switzerland

I would like to employ an au-pair from Mexico (or any other non-EU/EFTA member state). Which points do I need to pay attention to?

Paragraph of the Directives relating to the Law on Foreign Nationals contains the most important regulations in brief (available only in German, French or Italian).

The Law on Foreign Nationals, in force since 1 January 2008, has introduced the following changes:
Au pairs from third countries (e.g. USA, Canada, Thailand, etc.) can only receive permits if they are placed through an agency which is approved and licensed by the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO). Currently there are only few such agencies specialising in the placement of au-pairs (e.g. pro filia). However, we expect the number to increase throughout the year. Au pairs may now be placed only if they are between 18 to 25 years old.

Placement through an agency is not necessary if employing au pairs from EU/EFTA countries. The age range for au pairs from EU/EFTA countries remains between 17 and 30 years of age. Au pairs from "old" EU or EFTA member states (e.g. France, Spain, UK, Norway, etc.) receive their short-time residence permit or residence permit after presenting a work contract and registering themselves with the communal authorities. Au pairs from the new EU member states (e.g. Poland, Slovakia) still require a residence permit from the cantonal authorities (List with contact details)<br /> List with contact details)


Social security (Old Age, Survivors’ and Disability Insurance, OASI/DI; Compulsory Pension Act, CPA; Accident Insurance Act AIA; etc.).)

Family reunion
Sorry, for the time being, information on family reunion is available in German, French, and Italian only.