FAQ – Frequently asked questions
- Entry to the Schengen Area / Visa Procedure (38 Kb, pdf)
2. Special information on Schengen
3. Border-crossing / Travel documents
4. For hosts in Switzerland
5. Travelling in the Schengen area with a Swiss residence permit
6. Questions on granted or refused visas
7. Long-term residency in Switzerland (more than 90 days) / Employment in Switzerland
8. Other questions
Paper ID cards bearing an official stamp on the reverse to signify that they have been renewed are considered valid documents entitling their holders to enter Switzerland.
ID cards in credit card format that have been renewed by means of a separate confirmation of extension of validity are not formally recognised by Switzerland and thus do not authorise entry into Switzerland.
However, entry into Switzerland will be granted if proof of a person's Italian citizenship can be provided. (See also:
"May citizens of an EU or EEA member state who are travelling on a non-valid travel document or without a travel document made out in their name enter Switzerland?"