Federal Office for Migration

FAQ – Frequently asked questions


Please note that the general visa and entry procedure is described in detail in our information sheet:

1. General information on entry and visa procedures

Obtaining a visa during travel abroad

In general, you have to apply for a visa at the Swiss Embassy responsible for your place of residence, at least two months in advance.

If you cannot do this, please contact the next Swiss Embassy:
Swiss representations Swiss representations



2. Special information on Schengen


3. Border-crossing / Travel documents


4. For hosts in Switzerland


5. Travelling in the Schengen area with a Swiss residence permit


6. Questions on granted or refused visas


7. Long-term residency in Switzerland (more than 90 days) / Employment in Switzerland


8. Other questions